Saturday, May 16, 2020

Who Am I Kidding? From misunderstanding to mirth

I was writing about Integrity in information. I feel we need to approach people, in the case they do have our respect, or might have our respect, with an emotional and intellectual need for honesty.


There's a time and place for being funny, too- whether light-hearted, tension-breaking, or scathing. Some people retreat to sarcasm out of arrested development. If they know me well enough for me to feel they trust me to know what's what- and I trust their judgment, too- I might even play dumb for laughs. That's much easier in person. Nuances are easy to lose in typed words. Hell, spell-check is passing off a lot of people as more critically-thinking than you find, when you read between the lines. Dumb arguments have never been easier to pass off as smartly-written- if you don't know what smart writing ought to look like. (Here you can refer back to my post about misinformation, earlier today.)

Here, I took an instance where A FRIEND was kidding about 'anxiety.' I think that's why I named my comedy routine, "Relive the Anxiety."

I have one friend who posted on FB, this Anxiety Starter Kit. “Walking around quickly. Leg jumping, up and down! Peeing- a lot!”
(Take the measuring cup of water and the drinking cup in hand.)
Peeing’s a real conversation interrupter around the house. If you’re living with a dude, and you’re trying to talk to him while he’s in the bathroom, bear in mind. If he’s peeing, he can’t hear you. He can’t! Whatever you’re saying, (start pouring the water into the drinking cup, on-mic), it’s like:
Yeah! Uh-huh. Hey, sorry, I can’t hear you when I’m doing this. I can’t hear you, babe!

Anxious about not being a good listener. Anxious about not being heard! My friend’s starter kit post also had: “they hate me.” There’s an inspiring one for a stand-up routine with no laughter.
So I added a few, I did. I commented: Don't forget this one: "I just bared my soul in some small way. NOw I must hide any response from myself for at least two days." Maybe this one is an original.

Or this one: "I just set out a bold direction I've embraced. But that was days/ weeks ago and now I haven't done it and don't feel like it, so now I can't talk to anyone because I can't bear to hear myself complain about what I haven't done." It’s like ‘Anxious Bingo’!
Double points for "but failing was what everyone expected anyway" and bonus for "and I know no one cares, so now I can feel bad about that, too."

Or this one: "Uh, C Lue...that's just Your anxiety." Or, insert your own name.

Double points for: "I thought I was being funny, and now I've made someone self-conscious thinking I was examining his or her anxiety and they think I don't have that one but am judging them, smugly."

Bonus multiplier for : "and now I've made people sad because I thought I joked about personal anxieties I usually feel I've overcome, but I just triggered every depressed person who over-heard this."

So if I triggered you, I’ll apologize in the comments. And if I don’t get some ill-defined amount of affirmation, rest assured, I’ll be triggered, too. Slowly, agonizingly, I’ll relive the anxiety. Thank you!

So, humor's an aesthetic matter that falls on your individual nature. But is there really too much sincerity or honesty in the world of today's words?

With that in mind, feel free to check out my rambling trip through 2020, "Watching the World On Fire."
http://ceaseill.blogspot.com/2020/05/watching-world-on-fire.html It's just two posts earlier!

It's the very fact of it being set to a jaunty, familiar tune that makes the horror of it all something about which we might actually laugh. Just like true information, I feel being able to laugh at fearsome things and our anxieties as intelligent human beings- that humor- is an invaluable tool to better mental health and peace. Be Chill, Cease ill.

No comments: