Monday, May 28, 2018

Black Milk, Fever Top 10 Influential Albums (w/ Kid A, Radiohead)

Day 10 Influential Album: Fever, Black Milk.


A word about Kid A.
The reason it went onto my 10 list initially was, I wrote a lot of my earliest Kolpar novel chapters, looping that Radiohead CD. (Kolpar is a utopian version of the world, existing in the far-flung future. Their problem now in those stories is the ravenous emotional devourer, Zavox.) That December was very Lovecraftian in tone. I guess Deep Forest is another one where I wrote as I listened, and Jean Luc Ponty- anyway, this one's big, because this is simply my most important work of fiction of my career, so what I have on will be a matter of personal record. I usually work in silence, but there are times a beat moves you, strings pull you, even a word drips onto the mental surface, pooling. This is a variation on the cut-up method: your consciousness "cuts up" your background experience while you envision your story.



This one might go on to greatly influence my new music. What landed it on my list, however, are the sheer hours I spent alone with Kolpar and Kid A.


This is one of several intentions I foresee for Black Milk's Fever. Released in February, 2018, it tussles with the all-star, Kendrick-curated Black Panther movie soundtrack for my favorite release of the year. They make cat-like noises, circling each other's stances.

I love "Pray For Me" like nobody's biz- ah-ya-la-la-la-la-la-la-lah-la!. I think I already find those songs tethered to the epic Black Panther story on film, but some of them are on my Butterfly Soundtrack queue. I hope I make some music for it, too.
In the case of Black Milk, factor in numerous instrumentals, like "Reunion," "Shut It Down," -or "Perseverance"- after all, some scenes need to play soulfully, not techno-magical." Great workout music, too!!! A protege of J Dilla, Black Milk's an ingenuous beat maker. That side of his work will help me a lot, because music matches my motivation (eventually). A close kin might be "That'll Work," by The Alchemist, also going in the cue, along with an evolution of selections.
So much more on hip hop.
But you can expect real lyrics, too, when you put on Fever-that's a subject unto itself. Techno-world audioscapes fused my craft and my listening experience, while his stories tell life from street level. Those audioscapes express a surprising array of emotions- it's more than a few vintage video game bleeps.

The book I'm writing is set in the future- not nearly so far away as Kolpar, though we're again in the same fictive universe- in 2022, as of this writing. So, I watch technology trends. Instead of forecasting the politics, I instead engage with issues I care about that are presenting themselves as adventure dramas in Butterfly. I expect to cross more ethical bridges than I even intended, for some readers. There's some overlap with the world of Black Milk's lyrics and aspects of my story. That was in place before I found this record. The music, though. I look forward to considering how it blends with and supports the lyrical story, because Black Milk is a storyteller I trust. His music, though. If you have heard more rap records at this level, hit me up. His instrumental skills and choices generate a new meridian. He's been killin' this since 2010's LP Album Of The Year. Right now Fever is riding high to top 2018. Bring on great contenders. But, I hole up with what I love a lot of times.


It's got heart and techonological wonderment, alongside lyrical captivation. What a good example for my book, and media interpretations going forward. I am feeding this effort what I've got to render my masterpiece to date. Over time, I wonder
what I'll learn of Black Milk's stories, how long some of them have been with them and do some of them pick up earlier ones, how he's continuing themes and settings. Joyner Lucas is the only mc I'm enjoying this much, out of the 21st century artists. But we're looking at LPs, not mixtapes, and original music presented at a masterful level. I knew from track one, this could be a keystone in the ongoing creation of Chrysalis of the Butterfly, this summer. I am 8 chapters in, but the outline for the remaining 2/3 of 8 and the projected 22 others has experienced shifts based on reviving characters, asking questions about relationships among the cast, and plot elements that render cool drama while thickening the mystery.
I want to say something a little different about heroism, but what a kickass ride I have in mind!

T'Challa acknowledges 'Fever' is the heat. "Listen with Ba'ast's blessing," says the king humbly.



Here's who else I considered:
Duke Ellington Take the 'A' Train" : Greatest Hist
Pink Floyd, The Wall
Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark

Matthew Sweet, Girlfriend
Ten by Pearl Jam


Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
Elton John, Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road
Deep Forest, Deep Forest (another 'writing' one, but also: dancing!)
Stevie Wonder, Talking Picture Book
Tom Petty, Full Moon Fever

L.A. Woman by the Doors, The Chronic by Dr. Dre, Houses of the Holy by Zep, Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, and This Year's Model by Elvis Costello

would round out my Top 25, for now.

A list of influential performers would be different yet. I pretty much bounced to Public Enemy, but my intrigue led me to Fear Of A Black Planet and It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back. System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine. And let's face it, a truly scholarly approach would reach different conclusions, if asked for ten albums that set the overall trends of popular music. Mine's a subjective experience and dedicated, in the end, to supplying my personal jukebox of hooks and breaks and transcendent tunes- intensely my own, music as a companion in my inner being.

A Tribe Called Quest, especially songs from Low End Theory, would have an album spot right behind it, but I tend to pull up songs from all over a career and so, haven't listened to the Tribe by album. Blue Oyster Cult''s another band I couldn't represent with an LP, but Agents of Fortune would do. As if I needed list more influences. Style and school of thought are more ways a musician influences people.

I spent most of last year writing and demoing our own music. For long periods, I gave little else a listen. That may have made my listening experience refreshing on a plateau similar to the ones where I encountered some of the music listed.

Be Chill, Cease ill, be safe, have fun, memorialize what you've done with your own freedom, so Freedom's not simply a thing you give lip service, but a celebration of choice! That's the way of life that inspired many an American soldier, whether they'd recognize the choices of 2018 or not. It's worth remembering people die in war, so long as we're going to ask people to serve in war. It's worth asking what sacrifice is worthy of human life.

No comments: