Monday, August 6, 2018

Teaching English Online: a future brightens

Wow!

DaDa wrote: trial class went so well, student and Mom want to sign up if they get- me! Could I consider opening one of my off-days?

As a tutor for less than a month, now, such a request seems extraordinary.

What do I say? I have completed my very first class with Say ABC, where I hoped to work on my off-days from Dada and also, Summer Camp.

I wanna say 'yes' just to see who it was
:-D I'm positive the company's got loads of other lovely teachers who could make'em happy. I'm not even a month in! I think this job and these kids, however, might be calling on a special side/ combination of my gifts. I felt honored and elated!

Must sleep on it...


I just opened even more hours this month for SAy ABC, hoping that will take off and I'll be discovered. I know the limitations on my availability from the start might've worked against me having a busier first week.



Almost certain it was one little one who I could barely get to speak, but made him laugh the whole time and threw every trick I could think of to get two whole words of English out of 'im.

I don't get as many trial classes as I did, first two weeks- I have 46 appointments made for me over eight working days, already, mostly formal or 'interests classes.' Very fortunate to quickly become a Dada recruiting ace. Humbling, for someone to see anything uniquely special in this lucky brand new tutor. I mentioned this in my email reply. I want to open up some hours not in their template, really. But since my students are currently all twelve hours east of me, there's only so much wiggle-room, even on weekends.

I wanted to make it clear I don't think I am so darn special as to deserve the trouble of special scheduling. But a teacher who would consider taking up an extra day just to fulfill a potential new client's request, if it wasn't me, would sound kinda special. Parents know their children better than I, even if I get some flashes of insight. IF they see something in their child's reaction, something about their response to me that gives the parent's hope...maybe I can help, after all.

They even waved the two times early on I was late 'cause I didn't understand you sign in for stand-by (at half pay, hey) even when you don't have a class scheduled. So I get to keep the bonuses I'm racking up.

I may have room in my mind for asking for, and juggling, referrals. Me, I'm honestly just trying not to screw up. I constantly find things that are difficult to explain. You can only get out of your own way and hope an explanation flows.



A lot of plans have been
made and fallen apart in this town, since our stop-over from California extended to five years of struggle. I haven't included every mis-fire that sputtered out like drenched kindling. I can't even say about the relationships that decayed like bad code. At least my mother is so wrapped up in a mediocre guy in Alabama that we watch her house and keep it up like our own. No place, really, for us, except in a few hearts, minds, imaginations. Heck, last friend I made went to jail. No wonder we started planning our next location move in earnest. AFter all...a challenging, fledgling field's offered me a chance to shine, using so many of the skills that precipitated the efforts listed above, in a brand new way.

TAke it personally and it's brutal. But don't do that. It will grind away your hope. And wasn't that the quality that sent us West years ago, anyway? That somewhere, we could achieve more of our potential- keep growing?

So, you dredge up hope. You try to make openings. You take them as far as your resources allow. You engage the task at hand, the hope at hand, never knowing if it'll last. It's like skipping across quicksand and alligator's heads. Yeah, like Pitfall Harry.

And all the while, the solution's brewing away quietly, waiting for the day you finally search again- and find it!
Man...while I was getting turned down for every stupid local job, couldn't get a break, this industry was only yet being born!
I get to help it from 'crawl' to 'walk' in my own little way.

No comments: