Sunday, August 22, 2021

If Anyone's Going To Heaven, These Days (In Memory of Tom T. Hall)

“If Anyone’s Going to Heaven These Days”


If anyone’s going to heaven, these days,
I guess it’s basic, to even care.
If it’s here already, we hide it well
but friend, if you’re heading over there

Tell Tom hey, I wonder if he’s figured out how to write a country song
in a place, no sorrow or pain, but if you can, he won’t need long
I don’t know what you write on the back of, on those streets of gold
Thank you, God, for sending us the good packed in that soul


Now these tears welling in my eyes
fall not, dry, my cheeks, my smile.
Ruby leaves a rose, remembers with me, for a while

Who taught me to talk with little baby goats,
and we don’t call ‘em beer joints, and don’t strain for notes

and who let me know, if they throw you in a
cell, oh, well?
Who met the cowboy, and gave up poetry
And who marked the grave of Clayton DeLaney?


I know that homecoming’s fine
Jesus, make watermelon wine
and pick tomatoes off the vine
while cherubs kiss their Valentine


Tell Tom hey, I wonder if he’s figured out how to write a country song
in a place, no sorrow or pain, but if you can, he won’t need long
I don’t know what you write on the back of, on those streets of gold
Thank you, Lord, for sending us the good packed in that soul
Thank you, Lord, for sending us the good packed in each, our soul Thank you, for not simply leaving us, each in a black hole and Thank God for country gold.
-in memory of |The Storyteller -Be Chill, Cease ill

No comments: