Saturday, August 13, 2011

Isn't that the way they say it goes? Integr8d Soul presents Jim Croce

Jim Croce died in a plane crash in 1973, but not before writing and recording many of the best loved singer-song writer hits of American pop culture. It is said Jim stopped with his songwriting partner/ wife Ingrid just two blocks from my home here in downtown and said, "I love the feeling of this place, this spot. When I come back from the next tour, I think I'd like to make our home here."

Today Ingrid is the patron of Croce's, a Creole restaurant that features jazz music, including Steph Johnson and her band ever other Tuesday. I've rocked out to them more than once, they are wonderful and Steph's written new material to go with standards. I would like to think Jim would be right at home there, and who's to say...

Here is my dead of night quietly (and hastily) rendered tribute to his tender "Time in a Bottle,"



and here is our dual effort one afternoon on another favorite, the sardonic drunk dialing attempt with the uplifting melody, "Operator." Hope to turn this out in its two guitar glory one day this year. All music and copyright 1972 Jim Croce and Atlantic Records.



No comments: