Friday, December 10, 2010

Free of the Fallen World pt. 1: Mama I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier

"Mama I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier"

This picks up after two Defenders stories, the last of which began here:http://integr8dfix.blogspot.com/2009/12/remus-sharptooth-regrets-pt1-of-2-weird.html and the first of which appeared here: http://ceaseill.blogspot.com/2009/11/calinferno.html
They make a great substitute for DEFENDERS #76-78. This final part would've been a great 1979 late summer Annual, essentially a September release, most places.


PVT. HOLT: Any other time, I’d love to be in Southern California. Even coming to this mountain on National Guard fire-training maneuvers with the Canadian Mounties isn’t the worst day I’ve had.
But now I’m sitting in the midst of a blazing ruin, beside a tank I drove over a ...troll or something, cradling a woman who saved my life, wondering if I am in love with her and why won’t she wake up.

I can’t say I’m losing my mind because of all those things. The strangest part, no, no, was all that, in the midst of the sensation I’m feeling the feelings and observing the thoughts of every person I see. I was glad to be apart, as that seem to make it quiet again in my head.

Feels like that’s about to end; someone’s reading my thoughts at this very minute. I don’t think it can be helped.

I know I can’t help how I feel about this chick. Wow: she threw me to safety, right before the hideout for these creatures blew sky high and set off this mess. I feel like she’s fighting the hidden conflict underneath it all, with her spirit, and I don’t know how I know that, but I can almost see her flying into the darkness, towards this sinister plateau of red light.

I don’t even know you, lady. You’re the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. For all I know, you’re married. Maybe I feel this way because you saved my life. Maybe it’s the adrenalin. And you’re hot. Maybe I’ve never known just what I’m doing on this planet, but maybe I’ve always wanted to feel this way.


“All you know is that you want to help her...” His mountie friend Dave Blancley has walked out of the brush, into the bright afternoon sun.
“Damn! Blancley, you read---“
“---That right out of your mind, I know, ‘Sarge’, it’s happening to everyone...is that thing under your tank alive?”
“I haven’t checked...but you know that. I’m just standing guard over this warrior lady’s body.”

BLANCLEY: On that subject, you’ll have to excuse my thoughts, buddy. Maybe she’s just in a trance!
PVT. HOLT: But you know that’s what I think.

BLANCLEY: It’s bizarre: seeing other’s inner thoughts, their loved ones, their frustrations, and every feeling that comes out fighting this wildfire. One minute, Steve, we’re laughing over the Happy Show and by the end of the day it’s like...the end of the world. Not exactly, but...you can sense it...this is happening elsewhere, too. It’s rather distracting, really; I had to get my head in the game and deal with the fire.

HOLT: I don’t know how else to thank the lady, bro, I just hope there’s more help than me. But I won't abandon her.

http://ceaseill.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-of-fallen-world-even-ghost-can.html




No comments: